About Ethical Culture
The American Ethical Union serves as the parent organization pulling together all of the Ethical Societies across the country. The AEU creates, nurtures, and inspires ethical humanist communities to foster a world that is democratic, compassionate, just, and sustainable.
Ethical Humanism/Ethical Culture is a humanist Movement focusing on human goodness and building ethical relationships with each other and the Earth. As a non-theistic organization we do not concern ourselves with the existence or non-existence of a deity but instead embrace the diversity of our membership.
- We recognize the unique worth and dignity of all people regardless of their race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, economic status, or religious beliefs.
- We advocate for reason, compassion, and rational thinking so we can progress as individuals, communities, and a world.
- We act to elicit the best in others and thereby in ourselves, celebrating with and supporting each other through life.
- We realize the full capacity of our human spirit when we stimulate our thinking with new insights and inspirations.
- We are recognized as a religious movement because for us the ethical quest has the depth of a religious commitment, and because we recognize the value of a community of support, celebration, and action.
- We train future humanist leaders to promote responsible and ethical living.