Applications are due February 19th for the annual WES Global Connections’ delegation to our sister community El Rodeo, El Salvador. This year the trip will take place June 20-July 1. We highly encourage you to join us for this life-changing experience.
What will the delegation do?
While the community in collaboration with delegation coordinators will determine the schedule, the delegates will probably do some or all of the following:
- Daily life activities – work in the milpa (corn field), help prepare meals, assist with the laundry, help in the school, play soccer!
- Work with community members on the water project
- Assist Dr. Susan Runner at the dental clinic
- Work with the community on a community trash pick-up or trail restoration and the Little Library
- Meet with the ADESCO (elected community leadership) to plan the implementation of delegation activities and on-going endeavors.
- Household visits – paired with El Rodeo youth, visit each of the 25 homes to share information about assemblies, field trips, fiestas, work projects, etc.
Who may participate?
- Applicants who turn in a completed application with a $100 non-refundable processing fee on or before February 15
- Youth from the greater WES community who are at least 16 years old (by September 1, 2018) and adults who are interested in accompanying the youth.
- Priority is given to WES members.
- We will accommodate as many youths as possible.
- Spanish language skills are a plus but are not required.
- Due to an outbreak of the Zika virus, women who are pregnant or who are planning to become pregnant over the next year, should not consider applying.
What are the anticipated costs?
Application Fee $100 (non-refundable) Due: February 15
Participation Fee $700 (approximate) Due: June 1
Airfare $600-$800 (varies annually) Due: none, but earlier is often cheaper!
The Global Connections team offers fundraising training that can offset some or all of your expenses.
How do I apply?
Download an application here. Please send/drop-off a completed application and $100 application fee by February 15 to:
Global Connections, c/o WES
7750 16th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20012
Make checks payable to WES and write “Global Connections Application” in the memo line.
If you have any questions, please contact Peggy Goetz (email@example.com).
Thank you for your interest and we look forward to traveling with you!