- Support the on-going 24 hour vigil at the White House
- Urge Faith Leaders to sign the National Faith Letter
- Join with Faith Leaders to fast and pray and to support vigils
- Call your senators and representatives now to support retaining DACA
- Join Huge Rally in D.C. on September 5th at the White House
URGENT: WAYS SANCTUARY DMV CONGREGATIONS CAN DEFEND DACA & TPS
News sources are reporting that President Trump is considering terminating the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program. This move would turn our nation’s back on immigrant youth who are valued members of our communities. Terminating DACA would place the nearly 800,000 DREAMers whom the program allows to work and live legally in the United States at immediate risk of deportation. We need to call on our elected leaders TODAY to keep the DACA program intact. More information at http://defenddaca.com/. Likewise, nearly 300,000 TPS (Temporary Protected Status) individuals around the country are at risk of losing their protected status under the Trump administration in the coming weeks. Our DMV region communities of Salvadorans, Hondurans, Haitians, and others are at great risk if these benefits—which allow them opportunity to work and hold a legal status—are removed.
For those of us in congregations in the DMV Sanctuary Congregations cluster groups, there are multiple ways we can offer support, that allow us opportunity to partner with a variety of national and area partners to protect immigrant communities:
1. CONTINUE TO SUPPORT THE 22 DAY DACA VIGIL AT THE WHITE HOUSE (going on now thru Sept. 5th)
Multiple faith partners (including many of our area congregations) have helped to provide housing assistance, snacks, and have offered morning and evening prayers for amazing Asian American leaders through organizations like NAKASEC, HANA, and others—who are holding vigil for 24 hours a day between last Tuesday (the day when DACA became five years old) and Sept. 5th (the date by which the 10 state Attorneys Generals have threatened legal action if Trump does not eliminate DACA by that time.) Sign up here to offer morning or evening prayers, and to offer support towards a housing stipend—as Luther Place is graciously hosting the DACA vigil leaders!: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VOP5h99SJC1ZGrL9X-BsZshKZzDySQDf6zfMGR1L8TA/edit#gid=0 (Especially note evening prayer needs—from 6:00-6:30 on THIS Sat. and Sun. (Aug. 26 and 27), and Sat. thru Mon. nights (Sept. 2-4). Also, donation checks to support the group’s housing can be sent to: Steinbruck Center, Attn. Sarah, 1226 Vermont Ave. NW, DC 20005. Mark your checks “DACA Group Housing Support.”
2. SIGN—AND GATHER OTHER FAITH LEADERS TO SIGN—THIS NATIONAL FAITH LETTER in support of DACA and TPS by Aug. 28th!: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeIb6ierI8DOQJ27EaM4QFIerBa1DNq0DN8PU9c-ExjalPmwQ/viewform
3. JOIN WITH FAITH LEADERS AROUND THE COUNTRY TO FAST AND PRAY, and to hold support vigils and other actions between August 30-September 5—TO DEMONSTRATE SOLIDARITY WITH DACA AND TPS HOLDERS AT RISK! Sign up today to fast and join an action in solidarity in support of DACA and TPS.
4. CALL YOUR SENATORS AND REPRESENTATIVES NOW: (202) 224-3121*
*Please call this line 3 times to be connected with your 1 Representative and 2 Senators
Sample Script: I’m your constituent from [City, State]. I support the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, and strongly oppose any attempt to terminate it. DACA has provided nearly 800,000 young people the opportunity to pursue their dreams. I urge you to do everything in your power to protect DACA and stand in solidarity with immigrant youth.”
5. PLAN NOW TO JOIN THE HUGE DACA/TPS SUPPORT RALLY IN D.C. ON SEPTEMBER 5TH at the White
House! Stay tuned for much more information thru the Sanctuary DMV Congregations network as details emerge!
FIND MORE INFORMATION ABOUT DACA & TPS HERE: