RAPID RESPONSE TRAINING — SPREAD THE RR HOT LINE NUMBER — CALL US CONGRESS
WES is a member of the SanctuaryDMV Congregational Network as part of its work to support immigrants in our area. SanctuaryDMV and its partner immigrant services organizations are urgently encouraging us to participate in rapid response training because they anticipate that a new surge in local ICE raids will start this week.
They also need our help by contacting US representatives and senators to protest the raids AND demand “clean” DACA legislation.
Consider these three easy steps that anyone of us can do!
1) RAPID RESPONSE TRAINING— Get trained to be a Rapid Responder (RR) and join the Rapid Responder Raid Alert List.
⩥ SUNDAY, Oct 1 – 3-5pm, Seekers Church in Takoma Park, across from Takoma Metro station. (Sponsored by Takoma Park Mobilization and DMV Sanctuary-MoCo.) Pre-register at: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf_bTIPoZzh_wjAE1_2ekW8kpSVEPhbf3Znsy2Lxo2_-noZGQ/viewform?c=0&w=1
2) HELP SPREAD THE RAPID RESPONSE HOTLINE NUMBER to people who may be targeted. Please post these 2 versions (Spanish and English) of the RR hotline flier on bulletin boards, social media, listservs, or anywhere else that you think it would be read by people who may be at risk.
3) CALL or CONTACT MEMBERS OF CONGRESS—AND THE PRESIDENT. We need to let our US representatives and senators hear from us–their constituents–that we stand with our immigrant neighbors and oppose any attempt to terrorize our communities and separate families. (You can also call/contact members of Congress in states that oppose just immigration policies.)
Call your senator 202-224-3121 and representatives 202-225-3121 today! (*Call this line 3x to be connected to your Senator and Representatives.) Contact them via their individual WEBSITES for email, twitter, or Facebook.
(sample script): “I am your constituent from [City, State]. I’m calling to oppose the planned ICE operations reportedly happening this weekend across Virginia. I urge you to do everything you can to immediately STOP ICE from conducting these inhumane and unjust raids. I also demand that DHS commits to respecting places of worship, schools and hospitals by not apprehending people in or near these sensitive locations. Raids do not make our communities any safer; they terroriz my community and break apart families.”
Tweet, comment, email the president!
- Tweet @realDonaldTrump, @WhiteHouse, and @ your Senators/Representatives
- Post a comment on Facebook.com/WhiteHouse
- Submit an electronic message at whitehouse.gov/contact.
- .@[HANDLE]: Stop tearing families & communities apart with raids & deportations #NoBanNoWallNoRaids #GreaterAs1
⩥ Protest ICE raids in NOVA. Yes, we in MoCo and DC can make our voices heard for our NOVA neighbors. DC and MD Raids are next.
⩥ Demand “clean” DACA legislation — House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and congressional Democrats have claimed a “clean” bill would be brought to the floor of the House of Representatives that would protect at least 700,000 undocumented people from deportation. Last week, Democrats raised fears that they might negotiate on the safety and well-being of immigrants and border communities for the sake of gaining political points before the midterm elections.
We must be clear with our representatives and senators, and tell them we will only support legislation that contains no language or increased funding in favor of deportations, detention beds, increased border patrols, or militarization of the border. Tell both Democrats and Republicans that “all immigrants are deserving.”